Monday, February 16, 2009

Brendan - Ideas

I did some brainstorming last night and thought of an approach that we might be able to take. One of the challenges I think that we might face is trying to combine several different genres into one narrative. Ideally, I think that the four different characters that we feature should be connected somehow.

One idea that I hit upon was that there are 4 different witnesses to a certain event, maybe its a car accident or a murder or even something trivial. Maybe it's four different roommates and one is responsible for running his soiled underpants through the dishwasher. We can always hash out the details of the story at some point.

Anyways my thought was that each different mini-narrative gives the POV of one of the characters in the grid. And by watching each perspective of the "event" the user gets the full experience of the narrative.

Furthermore, I thought it may be possible to work in the "genre" aspect of the project if each character's view point is representative of a different genre. For example, in the Calvin and Hobbes strip, Calvin often sees himself as one of his myriad alter egos doing battle with his mother or babysitter or teacher. I think we could employ a similar tactic for this approach.

I think it would be interesting if there is a mystery or riddle involved with the narrative, that could engage the user. The other idea that I had was maybe each character is being interviewed as a witness to a crime, and each section of the grid plays back a different POV of the crime.
See the quick sketch below:













I'm wondering, moving forward if we should first consider the structure of the project, and how we deliver the narrative or the narrative itself. Is it the presentation that's most important or is it what we're presenting? In any case, I think that this idea of the 'grid' should support the content that we're delivering That's what I've thought of at the moment. Let me know what you guys think.

- Brendan

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about that image, here's a link to it:

    http://a.parsons.edu/~duffb867/artwork/drawing/Duffey_Grid_idea.jpg

    ReplyDelete